Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Spicy Fruity Salad (Vegan, GF, Raw Option)

Hey lovelies! I adapted a chutney recipe into this amazing salad that I just have to share. It is sweet, spicy, refreshing, satisfying, and pretty simple.

Serves: 1-2 | Inactive time: 8+ hours | Active time: 30 minutes

3 cups Chickpeas, soaked and cooked (302g)
1 Cucumber, sliced (320g)
1 orange Capsicum, diced (200g)
1/2 Mango, chopped (123g)
1 Apple, chopped (183g)
2 stalks Celery, chopped (92g)
1 large Carrot, diced (70g)
7 Dates, chopped (70g)
3-4 tbs Tomato Paste
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1/4 cup of fruit juice*
2 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Coriander

* I used organic cold-pressed orange mango juice

I soaked my chickpeas for 48 hours with intermittent rinses. Some of them sprouted but this is just a personal preference. A minimal soak of 8 hours is recommended and the cook time should be 30 minutes either way. If you want them raw, opt for at least 24 hours of soaking.
After I prepared the chickpeas, I let them chill in the fridge while I chopped the rest of the ingredients.
Then I made my dressing, which was tomato paste mixed with fruit juice. You can add some of the spices to this.
In a large mixing or serving bowl, add all your chopped ingredients plus chickpeas and toss. Then sprinkle with spices, drizzle on your dressing, and squeeze on the lemon juice. Toss or gently stir again.

Note: Always adjust spices to your preference. Add half the cayenne and taste test before adding the rest, for example.

Create, share, love at first bite!
Instagram | Youtube






 

No comments:

Post a Comment